Well, it’s a brand spanking new year and I’m about to share my thoughts on how you can have an AMAZING 2016.
So, you’ve made it through the first Monday of 2016. How was it for you? I’ve been a little bit missing in action lately which I think is something we all need to do from time to time. Take a step back, switch off and reassess. Disappear even and come back to life completely new. Sounds nice doesn’t it? Follow these simple steps and get ready to have an awesome new year ahead.
- Don’t get hung up on New Years resolutions – I personally think that resolutions in the new year can be counterproductive. You make them, you break them and then you feel pretty rubbish about it. I failed fabulously at my last new years resolution (which was to blog daily).. but that doesn’t mean I want to feel like a failure year round. So, how about thinking more about what you can do to feel even happier. Do more of the stuff that makes you feel wonderful. Lose the guilt, that’s no good for anyone.
- Focus on mini goals – that way the things you want to accomplish are much more manageable and won’t leave you feeling overwhelmed and blue in one months time. Take a look at your mini goals each month and edit them as you need to. This way you’ll feel motivated all year long rather than just in the first week of January.
- Be grateful for what you have – I know I’ve said it before and it may sound overly simplistic or cheesy to some, but making a mental list of the things you’re grateful for each night before you go to sleep is a great way to keep you positive and bring more of the good stuff into your life. Also, some really clever scientist found out that mentally listing the things you’re grateful for as you’re drifting off to sleep really helps to make you feel relaxed and even helps you to nod off! Now what’s not to love about that!
- Ditch the negative and be positive! Nuf said.
- Do something new – there’s nothing like starting a new hobby or learning a new skills to make life feel different. Learn French, whip up a meal from scratch each Sunday or take up running. Ditch the monotony, meet some new people and get some great stories to tell.
- Start yoga – find an amazing yoga studio. The ‘hippier’ the better and get in touch with your inner-self. You’ll not only become more flexible, but yoga also helps to suppress fear and anxiety. Downwards dog anyone?
- Travel – going somewhere new is always good. You’ll gain a new perspective on life, experience new things and have a new regained sense of self. Traveling is the best thing in the world, but no one is going to book that trip for you. Sometimes you’ve just got to say “I’m going to xyz” and go! You’ll be surprised at how many people say they always wanted to do that, but never actually got around to doing it.
- Smile more – smiling is my favourite.
- Allow yourself to feel rubbish every now and again – and then stop. We are all allowed a down day and when something bad happens it hurts. When you replay the memory over and over again in your head you’re only hurting yourself. You’re changing that memory and fueling it with even more hurt, and remembering a version of events that wasn’t and isn’t accurate. Wallow for a bit, that’s OK, but then move on and focus on the aspects of your life that are good.
- Life is too short to do something you don’t want to do – unless you don’t have a choice and normally, you always have a choice. You’re the master of your own destiny….. Don’t like where your life is headed? Make a change. Even situations that seem impossible to get out of, always have a way out. It may not be the easier way, but then nothing in life that’s worth doing is ever easy. Focus on what makes you happy and go from there. Surround yourself with positive people and even if you don’t know what to do with your life, you’ll eventually get there just by focusing on doing things that make you feel good. Remember, when you’re saying yes to someone else make sure you’re not saying no to yourself!
It’s the new year and you can do anything you want to this year. I hope your New Year was amazing…. I’m sharing what I got up to on the blog later this week! Happy 2016 you lovely bunch of beautiful people.